Panda3D 1.5.4 released

Hi all,

Panda3D 1.5.4 has just been released. This is a bugfix-only release, the stable release of the 1.5 branch. Here’s what changed:

• Fixes packpanda crash
  • Linux build accidentally got configured for OpenAL
  • EggTexture now writes wrap modes and types correctly.
  • Fixes an occasional crash in TextureAttrib
  • DirectEntry no longer crashes when moving cursor in a full box
  • Several bugs in RigidBodyCombiner fixed
  • Normals generated by GeoMipTerrain are now correct
  • Bugs fixed in DirectGrid
  • Linux users can now use WindowProperties.setParentWindow
  • Fmod now compiles on 64-bits
  • Fixed several bugs in the API reference generator
  • EggNurbsSurface is now exposed to Python
  • Fixes a bug in PGButton
  • GeoMipTerrain set_heightfield fixed
  • Several bugs in the Max exporter:
    • Now generates binormals and tangents
    • Pview output fixed
    • Overwrite confirmation fixed
    • Export type ‘Both’ now works correctly
  • Several other bugs not listed above.

Let us know if you encounter any bugs. :slight_smile:

Great! And I found something strange:

1. the "stop and play from current frame animation"https://discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=5183
    seem still strange in 1.5.4

2. the font:
    It worked in 1.5.3, but in 1.5.4, the text become some unreadable symbol, and the error message show up in colsole:
    :text(warning): No definition in AR PL New Sung Reguler for character 154

“AR PL New Sung” is the name of a traditional chinese font.
the font could be found in ftp://ftp.opendesktop.org.tw/odp/ODOFonts/OpenFonts/

Thanks.

1. Sorry, I didn’t tag this fix for 1.5.4. It will instead be part of the 1.6 branch, to be released at some time in the future. (The fix was complicated enough I didn’t want to risk breaking the 1.5.4 branch without much additional testing.)

2. Unicode symbol 154, or U+009a hex, isn’t a common symbol to find in text strings, in English text or in Chinese text, so it’s not surprising that it’s not in your font. (See http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/009a/index.htm). How did this character get into your text string? Is it possible that your input is garbled, or was incorrectly converted from utf-8 or some such? In any case, it doesn’t seem likely that this is a problem with Panda 1.5.4 per se; perhaps something else has changed in your application at the same time.

David

I just use it like a on screen text:

bk_text = "這是我的測試"   #(It means "This is my test")
textObject = OnscreenText(text = bk_text, pos = (0.95,0.95)

I don’t know why it works in 1.5.3, but in 1.5.4, I have type a"u" in front of every non-english string:

bk_text = u"這是我的測試"
textObject = OnscreenText(text = bk_text, pos = (0.95,0.95)

It is a very common encoding situation, I thought Panda3D did some tweak about it :stuck_out_tongue: ,so I didn’t to think too much about it. people say unicode will be easy in python3.0.
anyway, it’s my bad.

u"xxx" is a very different thing from “xxx”.

In general, encoding will always be a hard thing, because there are lots of very different ways to express similar things. Until all of these different ways fall away and we only have one way to express a particular string, there will be ambiguity, and we humans will make stupid mistakes and things will come out wrong. I don’t think Python 3.0 will change any of that. :slight_smile:

David